Thursday, November 21, 2013

Thankful Thursdays - Week 3

Sometimes it's hard to narrow my list down to five, but here we go!

1. I'm thankful that rather than the fleeting happiness of the world, we can have joy in Christ that is not circumstantial.  As one of my favorite professors Mrs. Hotton always quoted "joy inexpressible, and filled with glory." 1 Peter 1:8.

2. My dad is pretty much the best, has loved me sacrificially (not many dad's would get up at the crack of dawn to take me to the ice rink so I could skate the early session before school), he's wise, faithful, leads our family well, and has been a good example of a loving husband.  He's funny (most of my stupid jokes come from him haha) and always makes a point to do special stuff with me when I'm home, like take me to Royal's games in the summer or to my favorite sandwich shop for lunch.  He's pretty great and I'm blessed to call him dad!


3. I'm thankful that modern transportation makes it so easy to travel.  I love roadtrips, and if I counted correctly, I've been in 15 states this year alone.  A few weeks ago Colby and Colin drove from MO to Jackson with me, and I was telling Colby just how thankful I was that we can get in a car and drive across the country, or hop on a plane and fly across the world.  Before modern transportation, if I was born in Missouri, I might not have ever seen the majestic beauty of the mountains or known the salty air and crashing waves of the ocean.  We are blessed to be able to experience different people and places and cultures.  And I think the way travel changes us and helps us see and understand the world a little differently, is something that I too often take for granted.


4. This one may sound a little weird, but I'm super thankful for our Town Square.  I absolutely LOVE the square.  It's adorable, looks like it's straight out of a movie or TV show (think Gilmore Girls...) but I love it for more than aesthetic reasons.  I really love how it brings people together.  In the summer I'll go and sit in the grass and people watch, or I'll bring a lunch and meet friends there in the middle of the day, and I love walking around at night especially this time of year when everything is lit up.  Another thing I love about the square is that I always meet new people there.  The cliche Jackson Town Square picture is in front of the antler arches, and with the influx of tourists every summer (and some in winter too) there are always people taking pictures there.  I've made it a point to ask people if they would like me to take a picture of them instead of having one person out of the picture because someone has to take it.  I've started so many fun conversations that way and met tons of interesting people.  One of my favorites was 3 older couples from Georgia.  At the end of the conversation one of the men asked how old I was, so I told him, and then he told me that if I was ever in Macon, Georgia to look him up because he would be happy for me to marry his son haha!  Who knows...maybe I'll find myself in Macon one day!


5. The ability to enjoy beauty.  Have you ever thought about how awesome it is that we see something and think it is beautiful?  Or about the endless places we can appreciate beauty - mountains, the ocean, stars, a painting, a photo, faces, music, words, buildings, and so much more.

{thankful thursdays} thankful thursday

1 comment:

Amy said...

15 states, wow that's awesome!! I have a goal to visit all 50, and I've only been to 10 ha.