Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Come Ye Sinners

This is the first of what I'm calling Wednesday Worship, which will hopefully be a semi-regular feature on my blog.  As I go through my week, it seems like Wednesdays are always kind of tough, but what better time to engage your heart in praise and worship of our God?

Today I'm sharing with you one of my favorite versions of the hymn "Come Ye Sinners" written by Joseph Hart in 1759.  From what I've read, it sounds like his early life was characterized by sin and searching, and it wasn't until he was 45 that he was truly saved.  He spent much of the last nine years of his life writing hymns telling the story of sin, grace, redemption, and the hope of eternal life.  

This version of the song was rearranged and recorded by The Blackthorn Project, from their Bluing of the Sky album.  Take a good look at the lyrics of this hymn, and be encouraged that these words, though written centuries ago, ring true for your soul as well.

Come Ye Sinners
Come ye sinners poor and needy
weak and wounded sick and sore.
Jesus ready stands to save you
full of pity love and power.

Come ye thirsty, come and welcome
God’s free bounty, glorify.
True belief and true repentance,
every grace that brings you nigh.

Come ye weary heavy-laden,
lost and ruined by the fall.
If you tarry ’til you’re better,
you will never come at all.

I will arise and go to Jesus
he will embrace me in his arms.
In the arms of my dear savior
O there are ten thousand charms.



From The Bluing Of The Sky, released 17 November 2006
Public domain; arrangement © 1998 Mole End Music. Arranged by Michael Card and Craig Duncan. All rights reserved. Used by permission.

Rearranged by Timothy Floyd Thornton & Laura Elizabeth Thornton © Bricklayer Music Publishing 2006 (ASCAP). All rights reserved. Registered with CCLI.

credits

No comments: