Monday, October 22, 2012

Monday Munchies - Pumpkin Apple Muffins


You should probably know that this recipe changed my life.  I know it sounds a bit dramatic, but it's true.  You see, there were MANY years of my life that I thought I didn't like pumpkin...about 24 years in fact!  Every year I would try a bite of someone's pumpkin pie at thanksgiving and never liked it.  But then one year I tried these pumpkin apple muffins, and they were good.  Only a hint of pumpkin, but it was alright.  So then I tried some other pumpkin things and liked them all, and realized that maybe the only way I didn't care for pumpkin was in pumpkin pie.  These muffins really are great though, but fair warning, they make a huge batch, I got 24 out of the recipe this time.  I put a dozen in the freezer, gave a few to a friend, and we still had plenty to chow down on!  The combination of pumpkin and apple make these a perfect compliment to many fall meals (and they make a pretty good breakfast too)!

Pumpkin Apple Muffins
2.5 c. flour
2 c. sugar
1 T. pumpkin pie spice
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
1 c. pumpkin
1/2 c. oil (I want to try this with applesauce sometime, if anybody tries it let me know how it turns out!)
2 c. peeled, finely chopped apples

Streusel Topping:
4 T. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1 t. cinnamon
4 T. butter

Directions:  Combine dry ingredients  In a medium bowl combine eggs, pumpkin and oil.  Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients; stir just until moistened.  Stir in apples.  Spoon batter into greased or paper lined muffin cups, about 3/4 full.

For the streusel topping, mix together flour, sugar and cinnamon.  Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.

Sprinkle streusel topping over batter.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until done.

Recipe Source: Carey Hughes

No comments: