Monday, October 8, 2012

Monday Munchies - Last Minute Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal


Every year my parents have this thing of not wanting to turn on our heat until the latest date we can stand it, (you know, when we start wearing parkas in the house and our nose hairs freeze...ok so maybe we don't go that far!) and instead, just heating with our wood burning fireplace.  I LOVE fires so I always begged them to wait even longer, and now that I'm making the heat call myself, I've decided to postpone kicking our radiators up and just using our gas fireplace to heat things up.  It got cold in Jackson this week, and as I drug myself out of my warm bed each morning I began thinking of what I could add to my oatmeal so that I wasn't having the same breakfast everyday!  I've seen several recipes for baked oatmeal, and I need to try it sometime, but usually I walk into the kitchen about 15 minutes before I have to start working, and haven't planned ahead, so I need something that's quick.  I have several staple oatmeal combinations in my breakfast repertoire, but this week's addition of "baked" apples and cinnamon turned out to be one of my favorites, and I'm sure it will continue to make weekly appearances on my breakfast menu.  It truly captures the flavors of fall and as an added bonus, your kitchen will start the day out smelling like cinnamon-apple goodness!

Last Minute Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
Yield: 1 Serving
1/2 c. uncooked oatmeal (Snoqualmie Falls Lodge is hands down, the BEST OATMEAL EVER.  Buy some, you won't be disappointed!)
3/4 c. water
1 small apple, grated or cut into small pieces
1 T. brown sugar
1 t. cinnamon
Optional:
1 T. chopped pecans
Craisins
Extra cinnamon
Milk or Apple Cider

Directions:
Put apples in a microwave safe bowl, sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.  Microwave for 2-3 minutes or until apples are soft.  Be careful not to overcook.  In another bowl add oatmeal and water, and microwave for 3 minutes or until oatmeal is done.  Mix apples into the oatmeal, and top with pecans, craisins and extra cinnamon.  Add milk or apple cider until the desired consistency is reached.

Recipe Source: Endless Frontier Original

No comments: