Monday, May 7, 2012

Monday Munchies - Quick Eggplant Parmesan


This week's recipe is another meatless main dish - don't worry, the Jackson hippies haven't gotten to me yet, although there are a bunch of cute hippie skirts for sale around town, and I think it's only a matter of time until one of those makes its way into my closet!  Eggplant Parmesan is a great weeknight meal, quick and easy, but tastes like you spent a lot more time on it.  Also, with the exception of eggplant, all of the ingredients are things that I keep in the pantry so it doesn't require a lot of extra thought or planning.  I like eating these as patties, but they would be a good pasta topper as well!

Quick Eggplant Parmesan
Serves: 2
1 egg
1 T. water
1 small eggplant cut into 3/4" thick slices
1 c. dried bread crumbs, seasoned (I would probably start with 2/3 or 3/4 cup next time, I had quite a bit leftover that I had to throw away, and if you start with less you can always add more if needed)
1 and 1/2 c. shredded mozzarella

1/4 c. spaghetti sauce
1/4 t. crushed red pepper flakes
3 T. grated Parmesan cheese

In a small bowl beat the egg and water together.  Place the bread crumbs in a shallow dish.  Dip the eggplant slices in the egg mixture and then in the bread crumbs, being sure to coat thoroughly.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot.  Add eggplant slices and reduce heat to medium.  Cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown and tender.  Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over eggplant during the last minute of cooking to melt.

While eggplant is cooking, combine spaghetti sauce and pepper flakes in a microwave safe measuring cup.  Cover with plastic wrap and cook at high power for 2 minutes or until heated through.

Top eggplant with sauce and Parmesan cheese to serve.

Source: My mom's recipe box - other than that I have no clue!

No comments: