Monday, April 9, 2012

Monday Munchies - Kale Chips

It's Monday again, and my last Monday in Missouri for awhile!  As I told many people goodbye at church yesterday, reality started sinking in - I'm moving in 2 days!!!

Anyway, back to business.  I had seen recipes for kale chips on a lot of food blogs several months back.  Honestly, I have no idea what kale tastes like raw, I should probably try it someday, but for now I'll stick with the roasted crunchy chip version.  I made these for the first time a couple of weeks ago and the consensus was that it was girl food, for the Hoffman family, but maybe your boys are less picky, in which case, you should roast them some kale chips!  These are light, flavorful and pretty quick to throw together.  Although we made them for dinner, I think they would be a really good afternoon snack.  The crunch factor and saltiness kind of make you forget you're eating a vegetable, but I will say the curly edges give it a strange texture, not bad, just strange.  Surprisingly, these also warmed up rather well.  I threw them in the oven under the broiler for a couple of minutes and they crisped right up again, good as new!  So, if you're looking for a quick and easy snack or side dish, give these a try!


Kale Chips
1 bunch of kale
1 T. olive oil
Salt to taste (I love using coarse salt for roasted veggies.  The salt has a more concentrated flavor, so I find myself using less without compromising the taste!) 

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Rinse and dry the kale and remove the leaves from the stems.  (I found it was pretty easy to lay a piece of kale flat on a cutting board with the stem pointing down.  Cut an inverted "V" around the tough center ribs, then cut them up into pieces.)  Toss the kale with olive oil in a bowl, then lay out flat on a baking sheet or two, and sprinkle with desired amount of salt.  Bake 20 minutes or until crisp.  (The original recipe tells you to turn the chips over halfway through baking.  However, I'm terrible at reading recipes through, thought I was done with all the steps, went for a quick run and ignored this step, and they still turned out fine.)


Adapted from: The Food Network

No comments: