Monday, April 23, 2012

Monday Munchies - Fiesta Chicken Salad


The last couple of days here in Jackson have been absolutely beautiful!  I spent quite a bit of time outside, and all of the warm weather made me hungry for one of my favorite summer salads, Fiesta Chicken Salad!  I love the marinated chicken/veggie mixture, and my roommate agrees that it's better the second day because all the flavors have more time to blend together, either way, YUM!  Last night we ate it as a salad, but tonight we ate it in whole wheat tortilla shells and it was great that way as well.  I'll admit, I used to just eat the chicken/veggie mixture (no lettuce) on chips, I'm pretty sure you can't go wrong with any combination of these ingredients!

P.S. Sorry I only have one picture, my camera charger tried to escape the move.  Thanks to my mom and the mailman it will be back shortly!

Fiesta Chicken Salad
Chicken mixture:
2 chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 t. garlic salt
Olive oil

Saute chicken until done

Veggie mixture:
1 (16 oz) package frozen corn
1 red pepper (diced)
3 avocados (diced)
1 can black beans (drained)
1-2 tomatoes (diced)
Chopped green onions

Put the above ingredients in a large bowl, mix in the chicken, and pour dressing over all a few hours before serving (in my opinion, the longer the better, however if you want your avocados to stay looking good, add them just before serving).

Dressing:
1/8 t. pepper
1/4 c. vinegar
3 T. honey
1 and 1/2 t. ground cumin
1/4 t. salt

To Serve:
On a plate, break up tortilla chips.  Place torn lettuce on the chips, followed by the chicken and veggie mixture.  Top with cheddar cheese, sour cream, and salsa (and I think it would be might tasty with some cilantro and sliced olives on top as well).

Source: Carrie Robson

No comments: